Thursday, September 10, 2009

How Lucky I am

Today I am at work, sitting at my bosses desk, day dreaming about my future. At this moment in time, I finally feel like things are starting slow down (that is until school starts again in a week and a half). I have traveled all over California this summer, from Sacramento for 4th of July, to Brentwood for love, San Francisco for friends, Sonoma for wine tasting and family, all the way down to Redondo Beach for living, and finally the oh so lovely Hollywood where I interned at a movie poster design company. I also had the luxury of going to Costa Rica because my ever so gracious aunt and uncle asked if I would like to tag along... who could possibly turn that down? About half of this traveling was done by driving and the other half by flying, which allowed me to get acquainted with our endearing airports (LAX/SFO). And now, I'm back on the beautiful central coast trying to work and catch as much sunshine as possible before I'm stuck on campus for hours on end. (Not that I don't love school, because I do, I just always miss those golden rays).

This summer has been absolutely crazy! I have learned a lot of subtle and not so subtle quarks about myself, how I prefer to live, and what I love. I enjoy being around my family, not only because they are the best, but because they give great advice, have exceptional taste in food, and most of them are always down for a good glass of wine. This summer, living with my aunt, uncle, and cousins down south I realized that though I could have gone out with people I knew, they were the ones I wanted to be around because they were the ones I felt the most comfortable with. Each one of them taught me something different this summer. Julia taught me that having independence, not caring what others think, and beating to your own drum makes you not only a more interesting person, but a more loving and delightful person to be around. David taught me that family is everything. After a long vacation, when he heard his dad's voice, he smiled and laughed for hours on end. Gerry taught me that life is about learning how to roll with the punches and succeed through doing something that you love, whether it's in work, sports, or life. And finally, Amp/Tia, taught me how to relax. She taught me not to take things so seriously, because in the end life is not serious, it should not be taken for granted, but it should be well lived and well loved and well adventured. Along with family I learned that I strive to be neat and well organized. That I love traveling whether to another country or to a neighborhood beach. That I want/need/can't live without my eight hours of sleep. That I wish I lived closer to my brothers. That I am seriously in love. That I want a golden retriever. That I will one day (far far from now) be as good of a parent as my mom and dad both continue to be. I feel so honored to be a part of my huge, slightly dysfunctional, always caring family. I wouldn't change it for the world.

1 comment:

  1. Dear,wonderful,beautiful daughter. I would not be half the woman I am today without you. You taught me how to embrace all things womanly(with a little help from your Tia , of course). Like you, I am very happy spending time with my family , all the extended parts included. Even though we are "disfunctional" people seem t be drawn to our light. Maybe we should call ourselves the "Comfortable Disfunctionals". Love you mom

    ReplyDelete